The Plunket Society, created in 1907, was as New Zealand’s most successful and famous voluntary organisation. Run by women for women, it played a vital role in the care of mothers and babies for most of the twentieth century, becoming a national and international icon.
Historian Linda Bryder completed a DPhil at Oxford, UK. She is presently based in the History Department of the University of Auckland, where she teaches twentieth-century New Zealand history, with a particular interest in the history of social policy and health care. She is on the editorial board of a number of international health and history journals including Hygeia Internationalis, and is a Council Member of the NZ Historical Association.